If you’re like me you probably have some veggies from the previous week’s pick-up left to eat. Here are a few recipes that take advantage of using up lots of veggies!
Vegetable Soup – any veggie soup recipe can be modified in order to throw in whatever veggies you have in your fridge. I found a great post written on the blog, Straight From the Farm Feasting on Fresh.
1. Heat your fat (oil or butter or lard) in a large soup pot
2. Sauté any combination of garlic and onions
3. Add pinches of salt and pepper with each addition of ingredients in order to build your flavor
4. Add any combination of vegetables and continue sautéing
5. Add your dried herbs and spices and continue sautéing
6. Add your stock, at least enough to let the vegetables swim freely
7. Bring to a boil
8. If you want any pastas or grains, add them now.
9. Reduce to a simmer and cook until everything’s soft and happy – usually about 30 minutes
10. Add fresh herbs during the last ten minutes of cooking
11. Blend if you want a smooth soup and/or add cream if you want
12. Taste and season with more salt and pepper
13. Taste again!
14. If you wanted meat in there somewhere, depending on if it’s cooked or raw, add it in either step two (to brown beef), six (to cook chicken), or ten (for cooked anything) – from Straight From the Farm’s Post Anything Goes
That’s my kind of cooking! I made a delicious veggie soup that included radish greens, arugula, Crowder peas, sweet peppers, basil, okra, eggplant, and mustard greens from my CSA share.
Gumbo – A great idea shared by Joe!
I love this quote from the article, “I only list a couple of gumbo recipes here but they are a good base for you to build from. Take these and add and delete till you come up with one that fits you. You might even try a pot luck Gumbo where you have friends bring their own favorite ingredient to add to the pot. Create your own gumbo recipes and pass them on.” – Gumbo City
Veggie Stock – The last recipe I have to share is Veggie Stock. I great way to use veggies that have become a little less desirable.
Vegetable Stock Recipe – as mentioned in this recipe, “As to ingredients, anything goes.”
I hope these recipes are good building blocks for your imaginations! 🙂